Wednesday, August 19, 2009

To be Heroic: Reflections on Humility, Charity, and He-man.

The early days of my youth were full of fantasy and imagination. To both the joy and chagrin of my parents, it was a particular pleasure of mine to run full bore through the house and through the yard in little but Underoos and a blanket tied around my neck as a cape (sometimes cowboy boots as well). In these moments, I imagined myself as King Arthur, Batman, He-man, or some amazing version of myself that had super powers, a sword, and a trusty dog. As I grew up, I remained a fan of the fantasy genre, and every few days or so I'll immerse myself in a fantasy-themed game wherein my character has an amazing sword, rides a dragon, and goes about the land questing in the name of Good.

I've noticed lately, however, that these dreams of grandeur pervade my thoughts to a distracting degree, tempting me not to improper action, but improper motive. I was a great deal of a showoff when I was younger, feeling constantly the need to prove myself and be the best, and though most of that need to assert dominance seems to have faded for the most part, I still feel the need for positive affirmation on a fairly regular basis.

This becomes a major problem when it begins to blemish one's offerings to God and others. A charitable gift or deed suddenly becomes a cry for acknowledgment, a little plea to God and with myself for affirmation that I've done a good thing, that I'm honorable and worthy of some sort of compliment or praise. To realize the need for humility is, happily, a humbling event.

To pray for humility is a frightening thing, however: Humility can be caused by a miraculous change of heart, but that's not usually how God affects change. There's usually some physical sign of Grace, as in the Sacraments, and events that affect humility are rarely pleasant. But God is merciful, and so sometimes we get lucky.

So far, I've been lucky.

The other evening, while playing World of Warcraft (the aforementioned fantasy video game), I felt particularly generous, and so I offered to let lower level characters run behind me and pick up all the spoils in a dungeon I felt like pillaging. Only one player felt like taking me up on the offer, but what was humbling about the experience is that he offered to pay the favor forward, and extend the same kindness to another. I was quite touched by his response and gratitude.

The very next morning at work, I had two patrons offer me compliments, quite unsolicited, and unexpected. Again I felt humbled by their offering; their kindness to me set me in a phenomenal mood for the rest of the day.

Upon reflection I realized that God had used Charity, in my own growing desire to minister kindness to others, and their ministry to me, to transform me into someone who acted and reacted in humility, at least in those instances.

Reflecting further, I surmised that I can learn from my own impulse to be heroic, from my childhood hero: He-man. His secret identity was an unassuming, pampered, cowardly prince, likely counted by many of his own subjects to be ineffectual and weak. He maintained this humble image so that he might serve best his noble purpose of protecting his family, friends, and all the people of Eternia. His humility enabled his charity. To be heroic is, at least in part, to be charitable in humility.

Charity is the foundation of reconciliation and conversion; it brings with it humility, faith, hope, and reason. Through our heroic acts of loving, we may advance down the path of holiness.

I am still a long way away from the man I'd like to be. I still face temptation to pride or a yearning for recognition whenever the opportunity for an heroic deed or merely a display of skill presents itself, but He-man, Christ, and these words of St. Francis are helping me out:

Here is one of the best means to acquire humility; fix well in mind this maxim: One is as much as he is in the sight of God, and no more.


Oh, and here's a bit of He-man if you're feeling left out:



Grace and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment