Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Saying "I love you."

My family members always tell each other we love each other before we part or finish a phone conversation. Recently, I've been feeling the urge to say so to my close friends as well.

I've pondered whether this is mere force of habit or a legitimate wish, but find myself censoring the utterance not for lack of authenticity, but for social properness. Telling my friends I love them with such ease might create in them a sense of awkwardness, or a wondering about my intentions.

I'm not sure this is how I want my friends to react, but I'm not sure that I should like to censor my thoughts of appreciation either.

I think the key would be consistency... because I'm not really afraid of being the guy that tells all his friends that he loves them, even on a regular basis.

I'm reminded of an article I read on Bustedhalo.com once, which contained this passage:
Frank and “Chickie”: I never knew Chickie’s real name, though I suspected it was probably Mary Frances, Mary Ellen, or Mary Elizabeth. They were the oldest of the group, attended daily mass, and had eight children. Frank said “I love you” each time I saw him.

I think it would be a wonderful thing to be like Frank. I'm not sure you can say "I love you" enough, if you mean it.

Grace and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment